Sunday, March 3, 2019

A Stranger ISBI: 1.2 Failed Bladders and Marriages


Penny: Well, I guess we're married now.

Arie: I think I know how we should celebrate.


And celebrate, they did! Thankfully, no negative moodlets after this round of woohoo. 


While Penny felt that it was certainly a bit early in their relationship to get pregnant, there's no better way to fix a doomed relationship than by forcing yourselves to stay together with a baby! 

Oh, wait…maybe that's what you shouldn't do to fix a relationship.


Arie: Uh. 

Penny: I thought you would be happy?

Arie: We got married, like, yesterday. 

Penny: Don't go into a paranoid tizzy. This will be great for us!


Things seem to have calmed down quite a bit in the Stranger household. Arie proved to be a much better NTH husband than he was an NTH boyfriend, and they each made it to work on time every day. Even Arie made it to the third or fourth promotion thanks to their frequent parties (and him being "hired" as chef and getting to prepare meals unsolicited)!


Akira started popping by every once in a while, after a couple days' breather, of course. With his and Penny's relationship cooled off, he and Arie were actually able to start building a friendship.

Arie: Penny's at work, but I was just about to start working on lunch if you'd like to stay.

After a moment's hesitation, Akira actually agreed.


And the duo worked on lunch side by side!


On his way out, he ran into Victor stopping by to pay a visit.

Victor: I'm surprised to see you here.

Akira: Well, you know. I figured I should get to know Arie better now that he's married to my best friend.

Victor: That's not what I mean. Don't you think you and Penny should take some time apart now that they're married?

Akira: …What?

Victor: Lily overheard you talking before the wedding. We won't tell Arie, but don't ruin this for them. Or for Lilith.


Victor: You don't think your wife spends too much time with Akira?

Arie: Nah, man. He's her best friend. I get it. Akira's nice, anyways. We're starting to get to know each other better. 

Victor: Yeah, but don't you remember the circumstances when you first met?

Arie: Of course I do. Akira turned her down because he was married. I can't see why anything would change, especially now that Lilith is pregnant as well. 

Victor: Just…keep an eye out. Akira is a good friend of mine, but I've never seen him interact with anyone, even Lilith, the way he does with Penny. 

Arie: What does the mean?

Victor: They're just…close. 


Poor Arie takes Victor's comments with a grain of salt, and actually goes off to paint autonomously! This is fantastic, as Arie's got the artist aspiration. Maybe we'll actually get through a milestone or two!


Arie! What! Come on, it's too early in the challenge for a bladder fail.

Arie: I beg to differ.

*Sigh* -5.


Not much happens in the Stranger household for the rest of Penny's pregnancy. Akira is notably absent––probably caring for his own heavily pregnant wife, and Penny takes a few of her vacation days to work on her StrangerVille aspiration and nest (angrily?) before the birth.


Before long, we have the first birth of the generation. Arie is, unsurprisingly, alarmed.


With less than 100 simoleons in the bank, thankfully social services gifts us a bassinet.

Penny: I think I'll name her Serafina. Little Serafina Stranger!

Arie: Uh, I'm going to go…somewhere else.

As it turns out, Arie is not a baby person whatsoever. I swear he has the Hates Children trait hidden somewhere.


With less room in the house, we end up moving the wash tub to the front porch. Victor pops by to greet baby Serafina.


As does Akira, who announces the birth of his own baby boy, little Porter Kibo.


Unfortunately, throughout Serafina's entire infancy, Arie hardly interacts with her. And when he does, it's never with care-taking actions.


Before long, Serafina is a toddler, and will probably be the downfall of our mostly-positive points streak. Hello, toddler life!


We end up having to move the kitchen into the entryway, and making the real kitchen into a bedroom. Hey, you do what you can.


On the occasion, we'll even find a romantic moment between these two. However, for the most part, they keep to themselves.


During a lab excursion, Penny unfortunately has the first pass-out of the challenge. Really, Penny? You're not even the NTH! -5.


Penny: Seriously, Arie. I've been out working all day, and I come home to find that Serafina hasn't been fed or changed, and she should have been in bed an hour ago––and you're just on the floor playing with her dollhouse?


In an attempt to get many of Serafina's needs back up to where they should be, Penny passes out again. ISBI motherhood is hitting her hard. -5.


Penny: This isn't working, Arie. I really need you to help around the house more. I'm so exhausted.

Arie: I'm doing all that I can, but I suppose I can try a little harder.


If this is trying harder, we have some problems, Arie. -5. Ugh.


Penny: Hi, yeah, boss, it's me. Listen I'm not going to be able to make it to work today…


Penny:…Because I'm pregnant!

God save us. Truly.


Unfortunately, Arie is at work while the Romance Festival comes to town, so Penny decides to give it a go and enjoy herself before she gets too pregnant to really be productive.


Penny: What do you think about my current relationship, Guru?


Well. At least the Love Guru is consistent. This is the same exact thing he said to her the night she proposed for the first time. Maybe not the best omen…

Penny takes it to heart a little more the second time he says this, though. She grabs little bit too much sakura "tea" in an effort to deal.


Penny: Akira! It's so good to see you!

Akira: Hey, it's been a while. Are you okay? It looks like you've had a lot of tea, there.

Penny: Oh, I'm great! I'm pregnant and my husband is incompetent and the Love Guru just told me my relationship is doomed. What could be better?


Penny: Oh, wait, I know!

She grabs a startled Akira into a dip.

…With…no active relationship bar whatsoever. GUYS. Come on!


Akira: This is wrong.

Penny: I don't care anymore. I'm miserable without you.


Akira: Penny, you're pregnant with your husband's baby.

Penny: I know. But I…wait, I have an idea.


Akira: The Love Guru? Really? That's your idea?

Penny: I know, just hear him out. Guru, my marriage is miserable, and I'm in love with my best friend. What should we do?


Akira: Let's take a day or two. We shouldn't just follow the advice of some Guru without thinking about the consequences for our families. For our children.

Penny: *Sigh* You're right. But I think the Guru is also right.


Once home, Penny finds the house to still be a mess, and Arie is watching TV.


Penny: Why can't you help out around the house more?

Arie: I just got home from work like an hour ago. Where have you even been?

Penny: I can't take a night off for myself?


Arie: You take nights off by yourself all the time!

Penny stopped arguing when she saw Serafina and lowered her voice.

Penny: Arie, something has to change around here. I don't want Serafina growing up hearing us argue.


Arie: You're right. I want to make this work. I don't have work tomorrow, so I'll stay home all day with Serafina and try to keep up the house.

Penny: Thank you. That's all I'm asking for.


While I can't say much positively for the house, Arie and Serafina are attached at the hip the entire next day. He's really quite sweet with her. Looks like he finally got over his fear of interacting with children!

Queue adorable daddy-daughter montage:


 Although, his discipline skills are, unsurprisingly, nonexistent. Here is Serafina destroying the furniture.


Penny is pleased to find that Serafina at least has met attention needs during the day.

Penny: Well, you're in one piece, alright.


Penny sighs. Serafina does still need changed and fed, though. So much for an evening spent painting. Although she's starting to wonder if maybe Arie isn't as bad as she assumes him to be. Maybe it's just the challenge. Maybe it's supposed to be this way.


The next day, they end up hiring Nanny Datta while both Arie and Serafina are at work. Honestly, Nanny Datta is probably a worse caretaker than Arie.

Akira happens to stop by after she gets home from work.

Akira: Wow, this place is a mess.

Penny: Gee, thanks, Kira.

Nanny Datta: I think the house is in good order.

Penny: Of course you would. Your'e dismissed.


Akira: Wow, I forgot how pregnant you would be by now.

Penny: I know. I'm really starting to get tired of it. Let's go sit down for a few minutes. My feet are killing me.


Penny: I haven't decided what to do yet. Serafina overheard Arie and I fighting. I don't want that for her, but I also don't want to stay in this marriage.

Akira: It's okay. I think you should just focus on yourself right now. I can stay away again for a while if that helps you, although it's not what I want.


Penny: I just need some time. Arie really is trying. 

Akira: Hey, call that nanny back up. I need to pick up Porter from daycare before Lilith gets home, and I would love for you to meet him.


Penny: You must be Porter.

Porter: I l-like grass.

Penny: Oh, he's adorable. Nonsensical. But adorable.


Penny: Oh, hi Lilith. Wow, you look––

Lilith: Tired? Exhausted? Dead? I know. And I am.

Penny: Are you okay?


Lilith looks around to make sure Akira was already inside before she starts talking.

Lilith: Look, is something going on with Akira? He's been acting…distant.

Penny: What do you mean?

Lilith: I don't know…It just doesn't seem like he wants to spend time with me anymore. Or even at home in general.


Lilith: You know him better than anyone else, maybe even better than me. I––just––do you think he's having an affair?

Penny: Uh––


Lilith: Oh, jeez, I'm sorry. That was inappropriate to ask. I just have this feeling that something's not right, you know?

Penny: I'm sure everything will be okay, Lilith. Head inside and go to bed. I'll grab Porter.


Penny picks up Porter and sighs. This night turned out far more uncomfortable than she expected. She hadn't even really thought about what Lilith and Akira's relationship must've been like, but it's clear that Lilith knew something was wrong.

However, she also knew that the problem in her relationship wasn't simply Akira.


After getting home and changing straight into her pajamas, she finds a forlorn-looking Arie waiting for her in the living room.

Arie: You have to stop leaving in the evenings and getting home so late. You know I can't put Serafina to bed myself.

Penny: That's ridiculous. You're going to have to figure out how to take care of her.


Arie: You know that will never happen! You have to stop having such high expectations of me.

Penny: Do you hear yourself? Look, I just need some space in the evenings.


Arie: You need space? Have you even thought about whether or not I need some space? Do you even think about me at all?

Penny: I––Arie this isn't working. For me, or for you. We both deserve better.


Arie: What about Serafina?

Penny: Isn't it better that we won't be fighting in front of her?


Arie: *Sigh* I think you're right. I'll leave tomorrow morning.

And so that, folks, concludes my first ever sims 4 legacy divorce. Unarguably the shortest in-game divorce I've ever bothered with. I just couldn't stand to see this go on any longer. Arie moves into a bunker (literally--good old StrangerVille) down the street, and still has a key to the house so that he can see the kids often.

Tune in next time to see how our pregnant, single mother Torch Holder manages! (Hint: It's not well)

Score: -20 for bladder fails and sleep deprivation puts us at 0 (offset by three achieved milestones and one birth. 


No comments:

Post a Comment