Wednesday, January 8, 2020

A Stranger ISBI 2.1: Cole and Madison, The Saga



Thinking back to Penny's young adult days and her tight friend group, I wanted Cole to develop some close friends to rely on. They establish a local hangout in Windenberg, The Old Quarter Inn.


Evenings spent playing foosball and don't wake the llama lead to fast friends.

However, Cole can't quite keep his mind off of Serafina's wedding the previous night. He really needed to talk to Madison about what happened, and make sure it never happens again.


He sees her out of the corner of his eye, and sends her a quick, "Meet me upstairs. We need to talk." text.


Madison: Er, hey, Cole. Look, I didn't know you were…that you and Serafina…if I had known––

Cole: It's okay. I didn't know either.

Madison: Maybe we should just return to being friends. I don't think your sister and my dad would like this.


Cole surprised himself by stepping a little to close to Madison. She fell back against the counter, startled. He didn't move back.

Cole: Sorry, I…

He wanted to add, "I don't think I can do that," but held his tongue. What was wrong with him? Why did he feel this way?


Madison: Cole, I'm serious.

Cole: Is that really what you want?


Cole: Do you really want to just be friends?

Madison: It's…It's for the best…

Cole: Then why aren't you pushing me away?


The pair instinctively lean closer to one another, seconds away from a kiss.

*Record scratch*

Cole, as if awakening from a trance, suddenly thought to himself, "Wait, what I'm I doing? I came up here to break this off."


He jumped back from Madison. "Uh, well, yeah, I think that's best."


Madison giggled. "Remember when you thought I was the one in love with you?"

Cole glared at her. "I'm not in love with you! We fooled around like once!"


 Madison: Sure. Whatever you say, Cole.

Cole: Just get out. I'll see you at school tomorrow.


Madison walked out of the bathroom, and Cole let out a deep sigh. Maybe that sage from the world of magic was right. Maybe he did need to get a grip on his emotions. He didn't like feeling this way.


He spent the rest of his evening doing the least romantic thing he could think of––homework. 

Did it keep his mind off of Madison?

You tell me. ;)


The next morning, Penny gazed out of the kitchen window, thinking about how far she'd come. She used to be such an impulsive, silly girl back in that old house at the bottom of the canyon. She made a lot of mistakes, married the wrong boy, and ruined someone else's family. But, all in all, her family pushed through it.


Now, it was time to relax, retire, and forgive herself for her childish past.


Cole, meanwhile, was anything but relaxed.


He moped around the house all day until finally deciding that maybe it be best if he get out of the house and meet his friends. However, he really regretted that Madison was part of his friend group. Honestly, some space would have been nice.


Sigh. The kid is breaking my heart.


Okay, that's more like the Cole we know.


However, as soon as Madison arrived…

"I can't do this!"


Madison: You seem upset. Is everything okay?

Cole: I think maybe it's best if we don't talk for a while.

Madison: What?


Cole: Just give me some space.

He turned and walked away before she could answer. It wasn't what he wanted, but if this was going to work, it's what he needed.


He tried to talk to Sofia Bjergsen, but still caught himself watching Madison. Unfortunately for Cole, Madison also caught him staring as well.


Madison marched right over and sat down next to him. "Talk to me. What's going on? You're acting so weird."


Cole: I think I'm just feeling kind of depressed. I don't know. My emotions have been so weird recently. I don't really feel like I'm myself.


Madison: What can I do to help––?

Cole: Nothing, please––

Madison: Oh! I know! Prom is coming up. Why don't we go as friends? Have some drinks, dancing, and just forget about all the drama with our families? Like old times? Remember when we would stay out all night at the cafe just chatting?

Cole: No! Madison, I told you to leave me alone.


Madison stood up, clearly a little surprised by his outburst. "I'm only trying to help––"

Cole: I don't want your help. You're just making it worse.


Madison walks away feeling hurt and confused, but Cole crumpled into his hands. Being a teenager sucked. End of story.


Dan: And then I told her that I wouldn't date her until she got her nose fixed. Can you believe her?


Dan: Cole? Are you even listening to me?


Cole: I, uh, think I need to go home.


Immediately, he went to wailing at his punching bag. 

Can someone make a mod for sim therapy?


While Cole worked on his homework, Akira took the opportunity to sit down and have a chat with his son. 

Akira: Hey, kiddo. How have you been doing?

Cole grunted in response. 

Akira: Look, you don't have to talk to me about it if you don't want to. 


Akira: Believe it or not, I was just like you at your age. 

Cole: Really?

Akira: Oh, yeah! I would go through pretty rough spells of depression every once in a while. It does get better. Just know that I'm here if you want to talk, okay?

Cole: I'm going out tonight. 

Akira: …You've gone out every night this week!


Akira sighed as he walked away. Parenting Cole was…nothing like it was with his other kids. 


Meanwhile, Penny attempted to get a grip on the kitchen. As it turns out, having a teenage TH doesn't exactly lead to the most orderly household. But, well, it wasn't really orderly when she was TH either, was it?


Akira: I thought we were supposed to be less tired now that our kids are all grown?

Penny: We're old now. This is just the way things are.

I know, these "meanwhiles" over to Penny and Akira are a bit dull. Elders you can't control don't really do much, okay? They're just sad and sleepy all the time.


Madison: Hey, Cole! I'm glad you texted me. Although, I admit, I was a bit surprised.

Cole: Yeah, well, I was a bit surprised, too.

Madison: What did you want?


Cole: Well, I've thought over your offer. About prom.

Madison: Oh?

Cole: Yeah. I think you're right. If I go stag I'll just end up talking shit with Clint and Dan, and that's no way to spend prom. I want to go with you, if you'll still have me.

Madison: Yes! Absolutely!


Cole: Of course, we'll still be going as friends, though.

Madison, looking a bit dejected: "Yeah, as friends…"


Cole: Do you think you can handle that? I know I'm pretty charming.

Madison: I think I'll be just fine. It's you I'm worried about.


Cole: I don't know, I was kind of thinking you would be my wingman for the night.

Madison: Oh, is that what a prom date means these days?

The pair laughed. It had been a while, but things were finally starting to feel normal between them again.


Madison: Maybe I could wear the tux and you'd wear the gown!

Cole: Well, we do both know I'd look better in a gown than you.


Madison: Oh, Cole. I'm so glad you changed your mind. It just wouldn't be the same going with anyone else. You know you're my best friend.


Cole: Wait…really? I–I think you're my best friend, too.


Their evening was cut short by a frantic text from Serafina. She gave birth to twin girls, so Cole and Madison took a ride back to the Goth Mansion and met Penny there.


Welcome to the world of ISBI chaos and drama, little Lilliana and Helena!


Madison: I am *not* looking forward to all of the screaming.

Cole: …This house is huge. You probably couldn't even hear it from your bedroom.

Madison: …or it echoes…


Penny: You mean it, I'm a grandma?

Serafina: Oh, come on, Mom.

Penny: I'm so proud of you, dear. You're going to be an excellent mother. You practically raised your siblings.


While the adults cooed over the babies, Cole and Madison hung out in the living room taking selfies.


Now, don't these look like totally normal, well-adjusted teenagers!


Penny stood over her granddaughter, remembering when Serafina was a newborn. Penny's life was so complicated then, and it never really felt like she got to enjoy life with her babies. Thankfully, Serafina was in a happy marriage and financially stable. It's all she ever wanted for her kids after their complicated childhoods.

All of her kids are so self-sufficient now. Sure, Cole was struggling with his mental health and hormones, but that would level out one day. Penny felt happy, proud, and content.


Which is what makes these next events so challenging to describe.


Penny: Alright, StrangerVille. You did me dirty. Tell the mother plant gods to take care of my kids.


Cole: Hey, Dad, what's with that eerie music?


And so Akira lost the love of his life. His only regret was not divorcing Lilith sooner so they could have spent more time together. And Cole? Well, Cole didn't really know how to process his mother's death quite yet.


Akira: Looks like it's you and me now, kid.

Cole: I…How…Why…

Akira: It's okay, son. She loved you so much.

Cole: But I was so…

Akira: Doesn't change how she felt about you.


Akira climbing into bed alone that night felt like the most heartbreaking picture I could leave you with.


Thanks for the memories, Penny. You've been one of the wildest legacy founders I've ever played.


Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment