Saturday, October 6, 2018

4.3 Angst and Existential Crises


Sigh. Have kids, they say. It'll be fun, they say. Anyone else ever tried a dualegacy and then realized they hated themselves for it? Because that is most certainly where we are at.


Poplar…I think this is going to be one of those faux pas you look back on from your adulthood.


Elm: Hey, Bay?

Bay: Not now, I'm reading to Pine.


 Elm: Does no one else notice?--

Magnolia: We do. She's growing up today. There' just no point.


Prince! How ya doing, old pal?

Prince: Thanks for the reminder of my mortality. Totally needed that today.

Oh stop. You're still a stud.


Balsam: Hey, Jalisa. Want to start a really uncomfortable dance party?

Jalisa: I should probably say no to this…but…


Kengo: *Stares angrily at camera for his lack of screen time.

Sorry, man. You're just…kind of a boring ken.


Christopher! Why are you in the bedroom? There's a party downstairs.

Christopher: My name is Shannon. Christopher is my brother.

Oh…oh my! Have I been calling you Christopher this whole time?

Christoshannon: I should just leave. I don't even know why I bother coming to these events. Prince is dating my ex-wife. Half of the family thinks that Christopher and I are the same person. Some family you are.


Give Bay a round of applause friends. Literally nothing is about to happen to her appearance whatsoever!


Balsam: I told you an awkward dance party was the best idea.

Jalisa: You're right! Uncle Aspen looks super uncomfortable!

Hey there…Christopher.

Christopher: Just leave me alone.

I'm sorry! I just wish you guys didn't dress so similarly.


Now it's time for––the angriest birthday? What is going on with your face, Poplar?

Poplar: I will finally be able to do everything in my power to become heir while I am a teenager

Well, if you say so.


Poplar: I do say so! Right after I make myself not look like…this.


 Poplar: Heh. Children. They don't stand a chance at the heirship.

Jalisa isn't even in line for the heirship…


 Myra: And they've been calling you Christopher this whole time? That's messed up, man.

Christoshannon: Don't count yourself so lucky. They've been calling you Myra for a while now.

Ahhhhh oh goodness. Her name is Mara. Hello. I am thriving.


 Poplar: This is much better.

She's now a self-assured, romantic, muser who wants to be a best selling author. But only because world domination wasn't an option.


Elm: Oh my god! I've walked in on you!

Poplar: Uncle, I'm just doing laundry…

Elm: In the middle of your birthday party?

Poplar: I needed an evening gown to change into.

Elm: Yes…Yes, of course. Wait, what?


 Christoshannon: How is your birthday so far, Poplar?

Poplar: Do I know you?


Poplar: You might want to watch your carbs, Magnolia.

Magnolia: What personal slight are you trying to compensate for with that evening gown?


 Christoshannon: How's my ex-wife?

Prince: Who?

Pine: Oh boy! Family drama!


So how does Poplar spend her first evening as a teenager? Analyzing scientific matter. Do I sense a scientist or doctor in our midst?


Honestly,  I think the only pictures I have of Kengo are of him at the bar making drinks. He lives a kind of sad, drunken existence. Sorry, Kengo.


Magnolia spends most of her time building up friendships, especially with her cousin Jalisa!


And look! Poplar has published her first book! As a reward, let's send her to the Romance Festival!


Poplar: Everyone here is either unattractive or related to me. This is awful!


Vampirey-looking guy: I don't know what you're talking about. I am allllll attraction.

*Cringes*


  Thank heavens that eventually Brett Ishikawa shows up and the two hit it off.


Poplar: So, yeah, I'm probably going to be heir.


Brett: Heir? To a legacy? I hear those legacy houses are crazy.

Poplar: OH, they are. They absolutely are. It's actually kind of awful sometimes.

Brett: So why do you want to be heir then? When you could start your own life outside of the scrutiny?

Poplar: Uh…I don't know.


Brett: Romance Festivals are so weird. Like, what is that guy even doing?

Poplar: Ugh. I'm related to him, too.



As you can see, despite her misery at how bad the Romance Festival was, she and Brett hit it off.


 Although, when they meet up to go on a date the next day, it doesn't seem to be going so well.


Magnolia: Dad! Please wear pants when we have company over.

Rhonda: She's not wrong, Elm.


For a brief moment that I did not document in the slightest, I sent Elm in a fit of boredom to go on adventure. Quite truly, this is the only picture I have from the experience. Oh well, I suppose.


Meanwhile, back at the legacy house, it's birthday time! Balsam grows into his angsty little teen self.


And Magnolia proves to be just as peculiar and excitable in her teenage years as to be expected.


Elm, although he lives a confusing, bored existence, is quite proud of his kids. I wish I need time to play around with his character a bit. The next time I think it's a good idea to do a dualegacy, remind me how little time I can dedicate to each sim.


 Nevertheless, Magnolia spends some much needed time with the garden. I can't even remember which sim cared about the garden last?


 Aspen: The last of my nieces and nephews are teenagers. Excuse me while I go have an existential crisis about my old age.


Balsam: Oh, Poplar? How is that heirship faring for you?

Poplar: Just leave me alone. I'm starting to think I would rather get out of this place and move to San Myshuno.


Balsam: Heh heh, right where we want her.


Poplar: Uncle Elm? I'm kind of miserable.

Elm: Poplar, don't let them get to you. They're just kids.

Poplar: No, it's not that. I just feel like maybe I don't belong in the countryside here. I'm so lonely. But I've always aspired to the heirship.

Elm: Life is so much more than an heirship. In fact, your life will probably be more fulfilling for you and your future spouse without it. Look at your father. I've never seen a man so bored and lonely.


Elm: Hey, kid. I need you to be nicer to your cousin. She's going through a rough time.


Balsam: Oh, I just wanted to be heir. I didn't realize she would take it so seriously.


What's wrong, Magnolia?

Magnolia: *teenage angst and rage*


Elm is slowly working his way up the corporate ladder these days, so he spends most of his time working on skills that he is advancing painfully slow.


Balsam takes up artistry.


And Bay has finally reached the top of her career as an Interstellar Smuggler.


Kengo…lives the saddest sim existence I have ever seen.



 How's it going, Balsam?

Balsam: Why are there so many parties?

Jeez, you teens are so angsty this generation!


Magnolia: Okay, what's up with you?

Poplar: I'm just…realizing that I don't want to be heir. And now I don't know what to do with my life.

Magnolia: Doesn't that mean you can do ANYTHING with you life? Ultimately it's freedom.

Poplar: I guess you're right.

And we will leave you here, amidst teenage existential crisis. See ya next time!








No comments:

Post a Comment